General Explanatory Notes
Principles of interpretation of the MBS
Each professional service listed in the MBS is a complete medical service. Where a listed service is also a component of a more comprehensive service covered by another item, the benefit for the latter service will cover the former.
Where a service is rendered partly by one medical practitioner and partly by another, only the one amount of benefit is payable. For example, where a radiographic examination is started by one medical practitioner and finalised by another.
- Assist - Addition/Deletion of (Assist.)
- Amend - Amended Description
- Anaes - Anaesthetic Values Amended
- Emsn - EMSN Change
- Fee - Fee Amended
- Renum - Item Number Change (renumbered)
- New - New Item
- NewMin - New Item (previous Ministerial Determination)
- Qfe - QFE Change