Category 4 - ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SERVICES
Administration of Anaesthetics by Medical Practitioners
When a medical practitioner administers an anaesthetic in connection with a procedure prescribed for the payment of Medicare benefits (and the procedure has been performed by an approved dental practitioner), Medicare benefits are payable for the administration of the anaesthetic on the same basis as if the procedure had been rendered by a medical practitioner.
The Schedule fee for anaesthesia is established using the RVG schedule at Category 3 - Group T10.
Before the payment of benefits for the administration of anaesthesia, or for the services of an assistant anaesthetist, a number of additional details are required on the anaesthetist's account:
- The anaesthetist's account must show the name/s of the medical practitioner/s who performed the associated operation/s. Also, where the after hours emergency modifier applies to the anaesthesia service, the account must include the start time, the end time and the total time of the anaesthesia;
- The assistant anaesthetist's account must show the name/s of the medical practitioners who performed the associated operation/s, as well as the name of the principle anaesthetist. In addition, where the after hours emergency modifier applies, the assistant anaesthetist's account must record the start time, the end time and the total time for which he or she was providing professional attention to the patient during the anaesthesia.
- Assist - Addition/Deletion of (Assist.)
- Amend - Amended Description
- Anaes - Anaesthetic Values Amended
- Emsn - EMSN Change
- Fee - Fee Amended
- Renum - Item Number Change (renumbered)
- New - New Item
- NewMin - New Item (previous Ministerial Determination)
- Qfe - QFE Change