Category 5 - DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING SERVICES
Item 63399 - temporary availability
Item 63399 has been introduced temporarily to diagnose myocarditis that may occur after vaccination with the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines Comirnaty (Pfizer) and Spikevax (Moderna).
The Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) recommended a temporary item to allow time for a full health technology assessment on the use of cardiac MRI in diagnosing myocarditis more broadly to be considered.
Item 63399 is for use in patients where:
- the patient has suspected myocarditis after receiving a mRNA COVID-19 vaccine; and
- the patient had symptom onset within 21 days of a mRNA COVID-19 vaccine administration; and
- myocarditis cannot be definitively diagnosed using conventional imaging and other diagnostic tests.
The item can be used once in a patient's lifetime after the first vaccine dose, second vaccine dose or booster dose.
The item commenced on 1 January 2022 and will be available until 31 December 2023, pending a full assessment by the MSAC.
This service is able to be performed on both partially and fully Medicare-eligible MRIs.
- Assist - Addition/Deletion of (Assist.)
- Amend - Amended Description
- Anaes - Anaesthetic Values Amended
- Emsn - EMSN Change
- Fee - Fee Amended
- Renum - Item Number Change (renumbered)
- New - New Item
- NewMin - New Item (previous Ministerial Determination)
- Qfe - QFE Change